[Mailman-Users] Old Question, New Twist

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Thu Oct 25 16:24:57 CEST 2001

On 25 October 2001, David Pierron said:
> I am new to Linux, Sendmail, and Mailman (uh-oh)

I hope you haven't killed too many brain cells struggling with Sendmail.
Switch to a modern, comprehensible, high-performance, well-documented
MTA like Exim or Postfix before it's too late!  (If performance is of
paramount concern, it sounds like Postfix has the edge; I like Exim
because of it's high configurability, excellent docs, and friendly
community.)  (qmail is also good, but a bit of an oddball.)

> My problem is the age old:
> Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 99, GOT gid 12. (Reconfigure to take 12?)
> 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

The usual answer to this problem is: reconfigure and rebuild Mailman.
That means you need to build it from source, not install from an RPM.

If all the RPMs are using are from Mandrake, then their Mailman RPM is
broken.  You should complain to Mandrake.  In the meantime, build
Mailman yourself and revel in the total control that process gives you.
;-)

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org