[Mailman-Users] Admin passwords made invalid by upgrade to Python 2.2

Ron Jarrell jarrell at vt.edu
Sat Apr 6 05:07:11 CEST 2002

At 04:47 PM 4/3/02 -0500, Neal M. Holtz wrote:
>I'm using mailman 2.0.6 and was using Python 1.5.2
>
>Last week I upgraded to Python 2.2.1c2.  A few days later, it was
>noticed that none of the list administrators passwords would work any
>more.  I suspect this was related to the Python upgrade (its hard to
>tell for sure, but at least one other person has noticed - Jeff
>Klassen in
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-March/018342.html
>).  There was no reply to that message.
>
>When I looked at the encrypted password in the list config.db
>I noticed that there were characters in there that were NOT
>put there by crypt() (and so the file contained an invalid encryption):
>
># ./dumpdb ../lists/foro/config.db.last | fgrep password
>     'password': 'ix\xeb\xeaA\x9b\xd6\x01\xb3\xd8j\x9dtN\x80\xb8',
>
>A bit strange. Was wondering if anyone knew about this or why it
>happened?

Yea, I'm pretty sure what happened to you is what happened to me.
You weren't actually using crypt before - your 1.5.2 install probably
didn't sucessfully enable the crypt library, so you were using the
other password system.  Python 2+ is much better about finding things,
enables crypt, and suddenly all your passwords are broken, because
by default crypt is enabled.   Try setting USE_CRYPT to 0 in mm_cfg.py