[Mailman-Users] Admin passwords made invalid by upgrade to Python 2.2

Ron Jarrell jarrell at vt.edu
Sat Apr 6 05:07:11 CEST 2002

At 04:47 PM 4/3/02 -0500, Neal M. Holtz wrote:
>I'm using mailman 2.0.6 and was using Python 1.5.2
>Last week I upgraded to Python 2.2.1c2.  A few days later, it was
>noticed that none of the list administrators passwords would work any
>more.  I suspect this was related to the Python upgrade (its hard to
>tell for sure, but at least one other person has noticed - Jeff
>Klassen in
>).  There was no reply to that message.
>When I looked at the encrypted password in the list config.db
>I noticed that there were characters in there that were NOT
>put there by crypt() (and so the file contained an invalid encryption):
># ./dumpdb ../lists/foro/config.db.last | fgrep password
>     'password': 'ix\xeb\xeaA\x9b\xd6\x01\xb3\xd8j\x9dtN\x80\xb8',
>A bit strange. Was wondering if anyone knew about this or why it

Yea, I'm pretty sure what happened to you is what happened to me.
You weren't actually using crypt before - your 1.5.2 install probably
didn't sucessfully enable the crypt library, so you were using the
other password system.  Python 2+ is much better about finding things,
enables crypt, and suddenly all your passwords are broken, because
by default crypt is enabled.   Try setting USE_CRYPT to 0 in mm_cfg.py