[Mailman-Users] [newbie] Database?

Adam Cripps acripps at cfbt.com
Wed Apr 17 10:53:55 CEST 2002

I've just started a new job and bring all the joys of Open Source with me.
We currently run Lotus Bloats here and use it for simple web stuff.

However, Bloats doesn't provide a nice interface for mailing lists and I'd
like to set up a standalone server to manage mailing lists. Currently, it
will be a Linux box.  I'm trying to install a test server at home (on my
own box).

As for my questions, does Mailman need a database?  I'm sure I read last
week that it did, but for the life of me cannot find the page that
commented on that.  From Linux's point for view, which is the easiest
database to set up?  I read about BerkelyDB (IIRC) - is that a standard
installation on most linux distros?  If it is, how can I check if it's
installed?

Also, which is the easiest to get Mailman to work with - Postfix, Exim or
sendmail? I know I have Postfix installed at home (and know nothing about
it) but other people on my lug group have suggested Exim. I've tried
installing Exim and it seems to need a load of other stuff. How does
Postfix go with Mailman? Good or bad?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Adam

PS. Sorry if this is a bit off-topic - I have been following the list for
only a week now. If it is, please feel free to reply via email and not on
the list (although that defeats the whole object of a mailing list :-) )

This message has been checked for all known viruses. For further
information please e-mail the CfBT IT Help Desk at helpdesk at cfbt.com.
http://www.cfbt.com