[Mailman-Users] Help

Barry A. Warsaw barry at zope.com
Sat May 18 00:54:53 CEST 2002

    F> I upgraded to 2.1b2+ via cvs and now need to figure out how to
    F> "upgrade" existing lists. is there an easy way to do it from a
    F> script? All our lists are closed lists and we are being swamped
    F> with spams from the far east. All of the spams are in far east
    F> character sets, (meaning they look like line drawing
    F> characters).  I'd like to "edit" all our lists so that that the
    F> default for non-member posts to closed lists is "discard".

The best way to bulk modify a configuration variable is with
bin/withlist, which in MM2.1 can operate on more than one list.

    F> I'm also concerned about the existing per list files.  the doc
    F> says existing lists files are not updated. it suggests doing a
    F> diff with ~mailman/templates and each of the lists, the result
    F> of that was there was no common files. the files in templates
    F> did not exist in the lists files and vise versa.

This is only an issue if you've added list-specific customizations of
the template files.  If you're using the stock templates, everything
will just work.

    F> do I need to manually edit anything to have the existing lists
    F> use the new features of 2.1?

Nope.  They get auto-upgraded.

    F> is there someplace to set sitewide defaults.

Depends on the default. ;)  MM2.1 uses the same mm_cfg.py config file.

    F> In 2.0.10 I made a patch to newlist so it added the pipe to
    F> stripmime to the posting alias. I had newlist append its new
    F> aliases to /etc/mail/mailing.lists (a secondary aliases file,
    F> owned by mailman:mailman), and do the newaliases
    F> (sendmail). the new newlist doesn't have the table/list in it
    F> to modify?

That's all handled by the MTA variable in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py which
names a module inside Mailman/MTA to glue Mailman to your mail server.
You might want to hack makealiases() in Mailman/MTA/Utils.py

    F> oh, and regards to Guido

Sure thing!
-Barry