[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.2, Postfix 2.0.13, virtual domains

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Thu Jul 31 19:42:55 CEST 2003

Jim Breton said:
> I have set up the above on a FreeBSD 4.7 system with the intention of
> being able to host per-virtual-domain mailing lists.

Yay! Another FBSD user! :)

> I want to be able to have:
>
> list01 at domain1.com
> and
> list01 at domain2.com
>
> as completely separate, autonomous lists.

Can't do it :( It'd have to be:

list01 at domain1.com
list02 at domain2.com

If Mailman had a little more (no offense, I just can't think of a better
term to use) intelligence in it, when you set up for virtual domains it'd
do things like create a directorynamespace like
/usr/local/mailman/lists/domain2.com/, etc. so you *could* put lists with
the same name in different domains...

> And if so, I've been having trouble attempting to set it up.  Despite
> adding virtual domains to the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS variable in
> mm_cfg.py, as well as trying to add "add_virtualhost('mail.domain2.com')
> invocations to mm_cfg.py, Mailman _always_ tries to create lists in the
> default domain.
>
> Example:
>
> $ bin/newlist virt4 at default-domain.com
> ... (list created)
>
> data/virtual-mailman:
>
> virt4 at default-domain.com              virt4
> virt4-admin at default-domain.com        virt4-admin
>

> $ bin/newlist virt4 at domain2.com
> List already exists: virt4

This happens because of the prior explanation...

Hope this helps...

Glenn
---
The original portions of this message are the copyright of the author
(c)1998-2002 Glenn E. Sieb.    ICQ UIN: 300395    IRC Nick: Rainbear
"All acts of Love and Pleasure are Her rituals"-Charge of the Goddess