[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.5 release candidate 2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 25 05:47:34 CEST 2004

I've just uploaded Mailman 2.1.5 release candidate 2 (no, you never saw
rc1 :).  Since there are some fairly significant changes with this
version, I felt it was necessary to put out a release candidate to
hopefully prompt some additional testing.

If you're able to test the new version, that would be great, but please
note that:

      * The file format for on-disk messages in the qrunners has
        changed.  Until now, each queued message was represented by two
        files, a .msg and a .pck file.  With this version, all
        information is kept in the .pck file.  This improves stability
        and performance.  The upgrade script will attempt to convert all
        your existing .msg/.pck files to the single .pck file, but there
        may still be lurking problems with this conversion.
      * The pending database has been changed from a global pickle file
        living in $prefix/data, to a unique pickle file per mailing
        list.  The upgrade script attempts to determine which list each
        pending request belongs to, but it isn't always possible to
        know, so while it does the best it can, there may still be
        lurking problems with this conversion.

If you upgrade you should do so only on a quiet system.  I recommend
shutting down Mailman, your MTA, and your web server before doing the
upgrade.  Please note any problems you have with the conversion scripts
(you may want to make backups first ;).

My thanks for not letting the above discourage you from testing the new
version. :)  I think the improvements in 2.1.5 are worth it, and based
on experiences running python.org, the new version should be quite
stable once installed.

I plan to release 2.1.5 final sometime next weekend.
-Barry