[Mailman-Users] 4 things: conjugation with usenet, archivisation by arriving date, statistics, and link to the archives in archivised posts.

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun Jan 11 23:21:07 CET 2004

At 1:35 AM +0100 2004/01/11, Andrzej Kasperowicz wrote:

>  Admin of my server moved some time ago one of my lists to Mailman, but
>  the other one he did not, because the other one is conjugated with a
>  usenet news group, and he said that he can't do that under mailman,
>  because in order to conjungate it in direction usenet -> list the list
>  would have to be open for everyone, or moderator would have to confirm
>  every post send from persons not subscribed to the list.
>  Is that true?

	No.  The latest version of the mailman will only allow mailing
list members to post through to the newsgroup.  Newsgroup postings
will be allowed through without restriction.  Have your admin install
version 2.1.4.

>  I think that there should be an option allowing to archive mails
>  according to date of reception of the posts by mailman, and not date set
>  by user who sends it. That would prevent dates from the future in the
>  archive: 2006, 2011, 2013, 2024 which you can see in this list (mailman-
>  users) archive:
>  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/

	The messages are archived in the order in which they are
received.  The dates shown are those as present in the original
message.  If the date on the sender's machine is out-of-whack, then
that's what is displayed.  This could not be reasonably corrected by
the receiving system, because there would be no way to know what the
correct date would be -- how long was the message delayed?  What time
zone was it sent from?  There would be too many questions to answer,
for which there are no answers.

>  I also would wish to see in mailman statistics of posts sent by users,
>  i.e. how many post were sent from each e-mail address. There is such a
>  feature in ver. 6.0d of ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas. It would
>  be nice to have it in Mailman, too.

	That sounds like it would be a nice addition.

>  I think that there should be present a link to the main archive web page
>  in every archivised message seen in archive, because at the moment there
>  is only link to the subscribtion page (information page), and possibility
>  to sort messages differently, but if I read it sorted by thread for
>  example, I cannot go back to the begining of the thread or to the main
>  archive web page by clicking on a link - there is no such a link,
>  unfortunatelly.

	Like many open source projects, mailman is written by volunteers.
Unfortunately, most of these people have limited time available, and
have to find other ways to pay the bills.  Sometimes even simple
changes are more than the development team can do, because they're
way behind and overwhelmed with other work.  If you can provide a
patch to implement this functionality, I'm sure they'd more than
welcome your submission.  If you can provide funding to help pay for
someone else to develop such a feature, I'm sure they'd welcome that.

	If you are unable to help implement this functionality in some
way, the best that can be hoped for is that this feature request will
be put in the queue, and someday someone might be able to do it.