[Mailman-Users] Email command upgrade

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Oct 5 02:39:09 CEST 2004

At 5:17 PM -0700 2004-10-04, John W. Baxter wrote:

>  OK, so what does Eudora do to make the RFC 2919 headers useful?  All I think
>  it does out of the box is not filter any of them in its presentation of a
>  message, leading to endless complaints about "those headers" and being the
>  prime trigger for Mailman's current ability to turn them off.  (Then there
>  was fine-tuning about the List-Post vs announce-only lists, not caused by
>  Eudora.)

	Well, by default, it doesn't ignore or hide the List-* headers,
and turns them into proper clickable links.  If you want to turn that
behaviour off, then you have to follow the instructions in
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.001.htp>,
which apparently a lot of people are stupid enough to do.

	If so, then the List-* headers are now hidden because you went
out of your way to configure your MUA to that, and you deserve what
you get.

	This is all that needs to be done to properly implement the RFC.
Mailman does the right thing here, as does Qualcomm/Eudora.  The real
problem is Microsoft and all the stupid users who don't want any of
that crap they can't understand, but which they need.

	Maybe the next edition of Eudora should make it impossible to
turn off those headers.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755