[Mailman-Users] problem with mailman and qmail?

Kim Leandersson kim.leandersson at chs.chalmers.se
Sun Dec 4 15:00:09 CET 2005

Hi,

I've been running mailman for some years and are satisfied with how it
works and thougt I collected some knowledge about it. I've been running
mailman with both postfix and sendmail as MTA:s without any problem. A
couple of months ago we decided to give the hosting software plesk a
chance and now the challenge began for me. Plesk is using qmail and I
haven't really understood what I doing wrong now but maybe you could
help me out.

The server hosts several domains which have the ability to create
mailman lists via the webbinterface. This works great, the problem comes
every month when the monthly reminders are sent out. I'll try to
describe this with an example.

An explicit example:
The address i97elst at itek.chalmers.se is a member of the list
manskor at choir.chs.chalmers.se, the problem is that this address isn't
working. So when mail is sent to manskor at choir.chs.chalmers.se a bounce
is produced. This bounce would in an ideal world be sent to
manskor-bounces at choir.chs.chalmers.se that would be extracted to the
list administrator.

However, when the monthly reminder is sent out we (as postmaster) get
the following (see below). Everywhere in the header we see
mailman-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se and not
manskor-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se. The problem also seems to be that
mailman-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se isn't accepting any mails.

Any hints on how to get the maillists to send bounces to
MAILLIST_NAME-bounces at domain.tld? I've tried both searching the Internet
and talking to the Plesk support without any luck so any help is deeply
appreciated.

//kim

##################### .qmail-manskor-bounces
###############################
Plesk# .qmail-manskor-bounces
|/var/qmail/bin/preline /var/qmail/bin/mm_wrapper
/var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces manskor

#################### Bounce sent to postmaster
##############################

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at plesk.chs.chalmers.se.
I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce
bounced!

<mailman-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se>:
This address no longer accepts mail.

--- Below this line is the original bounce.

Date: Thu,  1 Dec 2005 05:01:18 +0100 (CET)
From: MAILER-DAEMON at chs.chalmers.se (Mail Delivery System)
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
To: mailman-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se

This is a MIME-encapsulated message.

--5C84D9C80.1133409678/mail.chs.chalmers.se

This is the Postfix program at host mail.chs.chalmers.se.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be

			The Postfix program

<i97elst at itek.chalmers.se>: host mail.medic.chalmers.se[129.16.30.218]
said:
    550 <i97elst at itek.chalmers.se>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in
    virtual alias table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

--5C84D9C80.1133409678/mail.chs.chalmers.se

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.chs.chalmers.se
Arrival-Date: Thu,  1 Dec 2005 05:01:18 +0100 (CET)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; i97elst at itek.chalmers.se
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host mail.medic.chalmers.se[129.16.30.218]

From: mailman-owner at choir.chs.chalmers.se
To: i97elst at itek.chalmers.se
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:00:00 +0100
Sender: mailman-bounces at plesk.chs.chalmers.se

This is a reminder, sent out once a month, about your
choir.chs.chalmers.se mailing list memberships.  It includes your
subscription info and how to use it to change it or unsubscribe from a
list.

You can visit the URLs to change your membership status or
configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery
or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.

In addition to the URL interfaces, you can also use email to make such
changes.  For more info, send a message to the '-request' address of
the list (for example, mailman-request at choir.chs.chalmers.se)
containing just the word 'help' in the message body, and an email
message will be sent to you with instructions.

If you have questions, problems, comments, etc, send them to
mailman-owner at choir.chs.chalmers.se.  Thanks!