[Mailman-Users] Mailman under Cygwin - won't add list

Ben ben at ahualoa.net
Fri Dec 23 00:28:47 CET 2005

> You need to run bin/newlist as mailman or some user in the
> Administrators group, not as Ben in group None.

User 'Ben' and 'mailman' are both in the Administrators group.  It is
cygwin that decides to display "None" as the file's group owner.  I
assume this is just a limitation of Cygwin.

On the Windows side (Manage: Users), I have users like this:
	Ben, member of Administrators
	mailman, member of Administrators

In /etc/group, I have:
 Administrators:S-1-5-32-544:544:

In /etc/passwd:
 Ben:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1004:544:...
 mailman:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1010:544:...

So, as far as both Windows and Cygwin should be concerned, mailman _is_
in the Administrators group.

Next, I tried running bin/netlist as mailman, as you suggest.  This
gives the error:

  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Site.py", line 40, in _makedir
    os.makedirs(path, 02775)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/os.py", line 159, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/mailman/lists/friends'

Next I tried 'chown -R mailman:Administrators /usr/local/mailman/lists'
then tried again to add the list as 'mailman', which gives a different
error:

  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 422, in __write
    fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/mailman/locks/_site_.lock.Lit
tleGuy.4260.0'

> or create the list via the web create interface.

Tried that too.  I get an web page stating "Error: You are not
authorized to create new mailing lists."

> > As before, it is the 660 permission bits, not the
> > owner/group, which is causing Mailman to choke.
> > I can't understand why Mailman's 'newlist'
> > uses this permission mask to create files which Mailman
> > will subsequently refuse to read.
>
> Because it expects to be run as the mailman user.

But, it won't be run as the 'mailman' user when it's invoked from
Apache, so that assumption will surely fail, right?

> The underlying problem here is Windows lack of support for
> setting effective user and group ids. This breaks all kinds
> of things that Mailman assumes about its environment.

Yes, that's clear :)  The question remaining is, is there any hope of
getting around it :(

Thanks,
Ben