[Mailman-Users] Mailman not responding, configuration error?

Jim Tittsler jwt at OnJapan.net
Tue Jan 4 01:26:52 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 08:25:18AM -0700, Dr. Jones wrote:
> DEFAULT_URL       = 'http://localhost/cgi-bin/mailman/'

This need not be used in a new installation.  (It is an
obsolete variable, and can be left set to None (as done in the
Defaults.py).  And you probably don't want it set to localhost
if you want the outside world to be able to access the web
interface.  Typically, you want to set
  DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
(which is how it is done in the basic Defaults.py) and have a
line in your Apache configuration that sets
  ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST= 'fyrenice.com'
> Host name this list prefers for email.
> (Details for *host_name*)
> <http://fyrenice.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/2ls/?VARHELP=general/host_name>
> mail.fyrenice.com

These two should agree.  Pick the one you want your users
to use to address the mailing list, and adjust DNS to suit.

> DEFAULT_URL_HOST= 'www.fyrenice.com'
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> IMAGE_LOGOS       = '/images/mailman/'
> USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = 0
> DEFAULT_SEND_REMINDERS = 0
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
> MAILMAN_OWNER     = 'mailman-owner@%s' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME
>
> PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/cgi-bin/mailman/private'

I don't recognize that variable (and that doesn't look like a
URL).  You probably do want a setting of the form:
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'
if that isn't in your distribution's version of Defaults.py.

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/