[Mailman-Users] bounce problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jul 20 17:10:14 CEST 2005

Birgit Fenzke wrote:

>The bounce facility in mailman version 2.1.4 runs perfectly on the server in the "world", the list-owner gets the information
>when an list member is disabled or deleted when a member has reached the given bounce score and the member itself is deleted from the list.
>
>This bounce facility does not work on the server with mailman version 2.1.5, in the bounce logfile I can find
>"sending rzforum list probe to xxx at biochem.mpg.de ..." after the maximum bounce score has been reached, but nothing happens - no disabling
>of the member, no information to the list-owner.

This is because the probe didn't bounce - actually it probably was lost
because it is VERP like and something isn't handling it properly.

>I know that you have changed the bounce algorithm in version 2.1.5 and that the problem might be in the postfix program or in our
>difficult server constellation, but I do not understand why and I have no idea on how to configure my programs properly.
>What I do until now is to look in the bounce logfile and delete the list members that have bounce scores manually.
>A running bounce facility would be a great help.
>
>Maybe it would be a help when I understand what happens or should happen when a list probe is send to a member and when this probe bounces.

>From the NEWS file for 2.1.5

"The bounce processor has been redesigned so that now when an address's
bounce score reaches the threshold, that address will be sent a probe
message.  Only if the probe bounces will the address be disabled.  The
score is reset to zero when the probe is sent."

The probe is VERP like, i.e. it has an envelope sender of

listname-bounces+user=users.domain at list.domain

If the probe bounces, the bounce needs to be returned to the envelope
sender and actually delivered as if addressed to
listname-bounces at list.domain.

Because of problems with VERP for some installations, 2.1.6 has VERP
probes configurable and disabled by default. In 2.1.5, you need to
make your postfix(es) handle the VERPed addresses as intended.