[Mailman-Users] (re-post) smtp failures, please help

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 2 16:29:52 CEST 2005

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>This helped me to figure it out...! The envelope sender is set to
>mailman-bounces at localhost, and it seems courier doesn't like that. I
>verified that by telnetting into my mail server and got the same 517 syntax
>error when I sent:
>
>mail from: mailman-bounces at localhost
>
>Is mailman-bounces one of the required aliases? How can I configure mailman
>such that it uses a proper email address rather than providing
>mailman-bounces at localhost ?

I'm guessing the specific error is the localhost part, not the -bounces
part since virtually all mail from mailman has an envelope sender of
some listname-bounces at some.domain. In this case the listname is
'mailman', i.e. the site list.

Go to the admin pages (General Options) for the mailman list and you'll
probably see host_name is localhost. Change it there and I think
you'll be OK.

You could also run

bin/withlist -l -r fixurl mailman

Assuming your Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py values for DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
mm_cfg.DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST are 'good'.