[Mailman-Users] Need help with "content filtering"

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Mar 6 21:38:38 CET 2005

Stonewall Ballard wrote:
>On Mar 5, 2005, at 12:46 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> I think what's going on here is the original message is
>> multipart/alternative with both a text/plain part and a text/html
>> part. If more than one sub-part remains in a multipart/alternative
>> part after filtering, Mailman selects the first remaining alternative
>> which would be the text/plain part in this case.
>This was a problem with my users until I discovered that Outlook seems
>to send the text part first, but other mail clients sent the html part
>first, so html was getting through only for people who didn't use

This would appear to be a violation of RFC 2046 section 5.1.4 which
says in part "... the alternatives appear in an order of increasing
faithfulness to the original content."

>But I don't see the point of removing all but one alternative part. Why
>does Mailman do that?

To reduce the size of the outgoing message. This can be a significant

Also, to support the idea that posts received from mailing lists should
be intelligible to the maximum number of recipients, some of whom may
by choice or necessity not use MIME aware MUAs.