[Mailman-Users] Emails are being moderated...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Oct 4 07:24:19 CEST 2005

Johnny Schlaack wrote:

>We've set up a list that primary works as an announcement list instead of a
>discussion list.  Almost everyone on the list is setup to be moderated.
>Only a handful are not setup to be moderated.

This is not a very secure way to run an announcement list because the
list members can easily figure out who is able to post and can spoof
those addresses to post themselves.

It is better to moderate everyone and post via an Approved: header/body
line. Go to the FAQ wizard at http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
and search for announcement.

>But for some reason emails
>will not go to the list unless approved by the list owner of a certain
>unmoderated individual.  Now the only thing I can think of that might be
>causing a problem is that the email this individual sends out every Friday
>is a html newsletter.  The newsletter is like a webpage with tables and
>text. (The enewsletter is not an attachment but sent in the body of the
>email.)  Would this cause her emails to be moderated to be approved by the
>list owner?

Mailman tells you why the message is held for approval. What does
Mailman say the reason is?

>Is there a way that her emails can go through without approval?

If you use the "Approved:" method to post, this won't be a problem.
Otherwise, you first have to determine why the message is being held.