[Mailman-Users] New mailman user

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 3 21:25:54 CEST 2005

Andrew Steele wrote:

>I'm a new Mailman user.  I've just had my ISP install Mailman for me.
>They created a test list and this appears to work just fine.
>
>I've now created the first list for myself using the web browser
>interface.
>
>On sending a test message I receive a copy of the message - I am the list
>owner AND also subscribed to the list.

To what address are you sending the message? The symptoms you describe
are exactly what you'd see if you are sending to listname-owner at ...
instead of listname at ...

>The other addresses which are subscribed are not receiving the test
>messages.
>
>Each of the subscribed addresses did receive a welcome message.
>
>Also, in the list set-up I left the setting for RFC 2369 List-* headers
>to YES but they do not appear in the message header I receive neither is
>the Subject line prefix appearing in the received message.
>
>The mailer at the ISP is Exim 4.43.

If you are sending to the listname at ... address, it might be an alias or
Exim/Mailman integration problem. Exim/Mailman integration is
described at http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html.

>If anyone could suggest a route for finding out what I've done wrong or
>what settings need to be changed that would be really helpful.

The FAQ at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp
covers some things, but they are for the most part not things a list
owner with only web access to Mailman can do.