[Mailman-Users] New mailman user

Andrew Steele andrew at cnet.org
Sat Sep 3 22:22:01 CEST 2005

On 3 Sep 2005 at 12:25, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> To what address are you sending the message? The symptoms you describe
> are exactly what you'd see if you are sending to listname-owner at ...
> instead of listname at ...

Thanks for the reply...

I went back and double checked.  I was definitely sending to the list
address rather than listname-owner.

> If you are sending to the listname at ... address, it might be an alias or
> Exim/Mailman integration problem. Exim/Mailman integration is described at
> http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html.

It does seem that the aliases are somehome not correctly created.  I
checked the aliases file and only the test list had its aliases in the
file.

> The FAQ at
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp
> covers some things, but they are for the most part not things a list
> owner with only web access to Mailman can do.

I have shell access so ran the check_perms routine which threw up 12
errors

     ./check_perms
     directory permissions must be 02775: /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/edithtml must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/confirm must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/admin must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/create must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/subscribe must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/admindb must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/rmlist must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/roster must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/options must be set-gid
     /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/private must be set-gid

So I ran check_perms -f and the fixes went through.  I then ran rmlist to
delete the problem list with the intention of recreating it from scratch
now the permissions have been fixed.

Now, sadly, going to the mailman pages returns a 500 error - typically I
found this error caused by faulty .htaccess files but I'm not sure where,
if at all, this file might be located within the Mailman configuration.

So I'm still open to helpful insights.

Andrew Steele