[Mailman-Users] virtual host in subscribe url

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Feb 26 20:16:34 CET 2006

Robin Rowe wrote:

>Just wondering, isn't it a bug that by default virtual hosts Mailman
>namespaces collide? Why should it be considered normal to require a
>patch to support virtual hosts properly? In the web pages you referred
>me to there's some griping that cpanel was slow to share the patch. Why
>no rush to adopt it?

It is not a 'bug' because Mailman was never designed to provide this
support. It is a design limitation. There are plans to redo this for
Mailman 3, so that Mailman 3 will provide virtual hosting support
without having to worry about list name collisions across hosts.

The patches that cPanel and others have done to work around this
restriction have not been accepted as appropriate for the distribution
because they are generally incomplete and a kind of kludge that
requires you to sometimes but not always know that your list's name is
really listname_hostname rather than just listname.