[Mailman-Users] Batch delete admin requests

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jun 24 18:16:58 CEST 2006

Bill Whitacre wrote:

>I did find where the held messages live though:
>
>/private/var/mailman/data
>
>I wonder what would happen if I just deleted all the held messages?
>
>I'll bet there's a command that one should run after that to re-sync
>things, eh?!

I've never suggested this because I'd never investigated the
ramifications, but this prompted me to test it in 2.1.8 and it seems
to work - YMMV.

The issue is that the entries on the admindb page don't come from the
data/heldmsg-list-* files. They come from lists/list/request.pck (or
request.db in your case). This means that after you delete the
data/heldmsg-list-* files and go to the admindb page, the entries will
still be there, but if you just click the 'Submit' button, Mailman
will clean up and remove the entries from the request.pck (or .db)
file and even log the discards in the vette log. Also, you will
continue to get the daily "n admin requests" email if you don't go to
the admindb and 'clean up'

There are still entries in the lists/list/pending.pck file which are
the confirmation tokens that can be used to approve or delete a post,
but these expire after PENDING_REQUEST_LIFE (default 3 days) so they
will take care of themselves.