[Mailman-Users] 2 questions

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 11 17:41:37 CEST 2006

Todd Seeleman wrote:

>1.  Can I select unsubscribe for all members of a list from the gui
>without having to click everyone?  Currently I list_members to a file
>and batch remove using that file or I use remove_members -all <listname>.

No. Your current methods are the ones for this. I think the closest you
can come from the gui is to copy addresses from the roster page and
paste them into Mass Removal, but you probably need an intermediate
edit step.

You can use one of the web scripts
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.062.htp>
to get the list for Mass Removal and you might be able to script the
whole process, butthere's no existing script AFAIK.

>2.  How can I trim or delete archives?  I assume cleanarch does that but
>when I run it I get
>
> > hostname# cleanarch
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/cleanarch", line 172, in ?
> >     main()
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/cleanarch", line 122, in main
> >     line = sys.stdin.readline()

No. cleanarch does something else entirely. See 'bin/cleanarch --help'

Assuming you want to continue archiving the list, there are a couple of
ways to approach this.

You can edit the listname.mbox/listname.mbox file and rebuild the
archive. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.003.htp>
for info on this method and its drawbacks.

Or, you can just delete what you don't want from
archives/private/listname/. The problem with this is the
archives/private/listname/index.html file is continually updated using
information in the pipermail.pck file so even if you remove old
entries from it, they will come back. I'm not sure what will happen if
you remove the pipermail.pck file.

If you want to delete the archives and stop archiving the list, you can
set the list's 'archive' attribute to no and delete everything in the
archives for the list except for an appropriate
archives/private/listname/index.html file.