[Mailman-Users] Getting users off old listserv

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 6 11:30:00 CET 2007

heathcliff writes:

 > We are all set to migrate our user community to Mailman, but we are
 > at an impasse as to the most painless way to do this.  It is not
 > enough to just inform them of the cut off date and send them a few
 > lines of instructions or guides ahead of time.  Has anyone come
 > across or devised a painless way to wean them off of the old
 > listserv?  I have been checking around in the archives, but to no
 > avail.

Er, what do you mean by "user community"?  The subscribers, or the
list admins?  And what do you mean by "pain"?

It should be transparent to the subscribers, until they want to
unsubscribe.

For the list admins, they need to know how to print out a list of
subscriptions from the old listserv in the form:

"Full Name" <box at postoffice.tld>

and paste them into the mass subscription window in the subscriber
maintenance form in the Mailman admin interface.  The Mailman side is
almost trivial unless you've got hundreds of subscribers or scores of
lists.