[Mailman-Users] Still Lost

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 5 17:47:37 CET 2008

Thomas J Casey wrote:

>For each of my lists, I need for certain individuals to be able to be able
>to submit to the mailing list but only those that I define.  In the Privacy
>Section/Sender Filters/All mailing list administration do I set the By
>default, should new list member postings be moderated?  to No then add the
>list on individuals to the List of non-member addresses whose postings
>should be automatically accepted.  I guess the name 'non-member' is where
>I'm confused or should I do something different?

Here's a step by step for one list.

Go to Membership Management...->Membership List.

Scroll down to Additional Member Tasks.

Under "Set everyone's moderation bit, including those members not
currently visible" select On and click the Set button.

Now all list members are moderated.

Go to Privacy options...->Sender filters.

Set default_member_moderation to Yes so new members will be moderated
by default.

Set member_moderation_action according to how you want a post from an
unauthorized member to be handled, Hold for action by a
owner/moderator, Rejected with a message including the text in
member_moderation_notice, or Discarded with no notice.

If member_moderation_action is Reject, put appropriate text in
member_moderation_notice.

If anyone who is not a list member (subscriber) is to be allowed to
post, add their addresses, one per line to accept_these_nonmembers.
This is the whitelist that Brad mentioned. This only applies to non
members.

Set generic_nonmember_action to Hold, Reject or Discard depending on
how you want to handle posts from non members who aren't authorized to
post.

If you set generic_nonmember_action to Reject, put appropriate text in
nonmember_rejection_notice.

Click the Submit Your Changes button.

On each page, uncheck the box in the 'mod' column for those list
members who are allowed to post and click the Submit Your Changes
button.

That's it. When a new member is added who is not authorized to post, no
other action is required. If the new member is authorized to post, do
the step in the previous paragraph for that member.