[Mailman-Users] Mailman Archives page not updating

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 25 17:21:32 CET 2008

Anthony Human wrote:

>I recently moved mailman from one server to another.I tarred up the old archives and moved
>them to the new server, and simply untarred them into:
>
>/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/[list-name]

That's your first problem. The archives are always in the
archives/private/ directory. The archives/public/ directory just
contains symlinks to the corresponding archives/private/[list-name]
directories.

Also did you move /archives/private/[list-name].mbox/ from the old
server. If not, you will never be able to rebuild your complete
archive from scratch.

>The system has been running for a few months now and I have noticed that the archives
>list doesn't show anything past the month when I moved over to the new server.
>When I log onto the server, I can see the messages in .txt files for the following months after the move.
>However, when I vi the index.html it looks the same as the site i.e. no months following the server move.
>Is there a command I can run to update the archives webpage? Ideally I would like the archives webpage to update
>automatically again.

First you need to straighten out your archive file locations. You
should have

archives/private/[list-name]/     containing the html archives and
                                  pipermail data for the list.

archives/private/[list-name].mbox/[list-name].mbox
                                  the cumulative .mbox archive

archives/public/[list-name]       a symlink to
                                  archives/private/[list-name] but if
                                  the symlink doesn't exist, Mailman
                                  will create it for a public archive
                                  the first time the list is accessed.

Then, if as I suspect,
archives/private/[list-name].mbox/[list-name].mbox contains only the
post-move messages, you can add those to the html archive with

  bin/arch

If archives/private/[list-name].mbox/[list-name].mbox contains all the
list messages from the beginning, or you can piece together one that
does, then you can do

  bin/arch --wipe

to completely initialize and rebuild the html archive.

It is a good idea to first check the .mbox file with bin/cleanarch.

See 'bin/arch --help' and 'bin/cleanarch --help'.