[Mailman-Users] How to deal with qfiles/bad/*.psv?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 23 02:24:43 CEST 2009

Benjamin Lotto wrote:

>I've been using mailman for several years and have recently moved to a
>new machine.  Something funny happened, and I had a lot of files built
>up in the qfiles/* directories.  I restarted mailman with
>
>mailmanctl -s -q start
>
>and move everything was cleared out.  There are six .psv files in
>qfiles/bad and I have no idea what to do with them.  I've been poking
>around the web and various documentation and can't figure it out.
>Help, please?
>
>Using Mailman version: 2.1.12

This is a recent Mailman feature. In older Mailman, when a runner
encountered an exception in dequeueing a message, the fact was logged
and the message discarded. Now, depending on settings, it may be saved
as a .psv file in qfiles/bad/

See the comments in Defaults.py for the settings
QRUNNER_SAVE_BAD_MESSAGES, BAD_SHUNT_STALE_AFTER and
BAD_SHUNT_ARCHIVE_DIRECTORY.

With default settings, assuming you've got a 2.1.12 Mailman crontab,
these files are removed after 7 days.

You can look at them with bin/dumpdb -p to see what's in them assuming
they can be unpickled at all. There are also messages in Mailman's
error log saying why they are there.