[Mailman-Users] How to get rid of bogus held-message notifications?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 5 00:50:24 CEST 2009

Anne Anderson wrote:

>After a spammer targeted about 80 of our lists, I deleted the held messages
>by physically removing the files at the command line.  However, every day at
>8 AM I still get the emailed notifications that a message is being held.
>Evidently something in Mailman still thinks those messages are there.  Is
>there a way to clear this?  Thanks for any advice you can give.

If you had deleted the messages from the command line with Mailman's
bin/discard tool instead of just removing the files, there would be no
problem.

You have a couple of choices. If you go to the list's admindb
interfaces, you will see items there for the messages, but without the
actual massage. The process of attempting to display these will, in
fact, clear the problem, so just visiting the admindb page for the
list will clear that list.

You can also just remove the lists/LISTNAME/request.pck files, but that
will also lose any other pending requests.