[Mailman-Users] Hiding sender info query.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 10 16:23:46 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>I have a mailing list that is set to "Require approval" for
>membership. So if people aren't "Members" they cannot
>post.
>
>If I select ..
>
>"Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
>(Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields) "
>
>(1) ...will all the members still be able to post as before ? Or will
>it effectively make everyone "anonymous" and as I don't have
>a member called "anonymous" reject all posts ?

Yes, all members will be able to post as before. This only affects
outgoing mail and archives.

>(2) If I set the above and "Fred Smith" posted then would the name
>"Fred Smith" appear anywhere in the email that other list members
>receive from him ?

Not unless he put his name in the body of the email. That's the whole
point.

>Can anyone here give me help on either/both questions please ?
>Ideally I would want list members to know who is posting but not
>their private email address.

Mailman can remove this information from the message headers, but it
doesn't alter the body. The headers of the delivered posts will not
identify the sender in any way. To accomplish your ideal, you would
have to set the list anonymous and everyone who posted would have to
include their name, but not their email address in the message body,
but Mailman can't enforce this.