[Mailman-Users] Private archive nightmare with vhosts
mark at msapiro.net
Sat Feb 27 20:29:32 CET 2010
Brian Wilson wrote:
>On Feb 26, 2010, at 7:04 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>> Brian Wilson wrote:
>>>> If i go to archives for a list: http://lists.example.com/pipermail/lists.example.com/test/, the html link that links to listinfo uses DEFAULT_URL_HOST instead of the urlhost for the list I'm on (link goes to http://DEFAULT_URL_HOST/mailman/listinfo/test).
>> I'm not going to fix this. The problem occurs because the
>> MailList.MailList.Create() method initializes web_page_url with
>> DEFAULT_URL_HOST. It then calls the archiver to initialize the
>> archives, and only after returning to the caller (bin/newlist or the
>> create CGI) is web_page_url updated with the correct host name.
>> It only affects the initial 'empty archive' page. the first post to the
>> list will regenerate all the archive pages and the listinfo link will
>> be correct.
>> Fixing this properly is way too much work for too little benefit.
>> I have published a Bazaar branch to lp:~msapiro/mailman/vhost
>> <https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/vhost> which contains all
>> the work I've done to date on this branch.
>Thanks, Mark! I completely understand not fixing the 2nd issue. I'll give this a whirl and see how it goes.
I have thought about this some more, and I see this is really an
upstream bug, and it's not that hard to fix. I've reported this at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/529100> and fixed it on the
2.1 branch. I've also merged all the post 2.1.13 fixes into the vhost
branch at <https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/vhost> so that
branch has this fix.
Note however that list creation in the vhost branch is not very smooth.
The create CGI does not create lists in virtual domains properly. Also,
if MTA = 'Postfix', the create CGI produces a 500 error instead of the
results page because output from print statements in MTA/Postfix.py
looks like invalid headers to the web server. So web list creation
really doesn't work.
Creation with bin/newlist does work, but requires that the virtual
domain be specified both as part of the list name and with -u as in
bin/newlist -u virtual.example.com list at virtual.example.com
in order to properly create a virtual domain list.
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
More information about the Mailman-Users