[Mailman-Users] problem with mailman handling incomming mail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 5 01:53:47 CEST 2011

Maxime Longuepee wrote:
>I tryed what you said and it's not working.. I have this error:
>postfix/smtpd[99110]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from myhome.org[MY.HOME.IP]:
>550 5.1.1 <test-list at myotherdomain.org>: Recipient address rejected:
>User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<my at email.com>
>to=<test-list at myotherdomain.org> proto=ESMTP helo=<[MY.HOME.IP]>
>Mailman was originally configured with mydomain.org which still works
>well. The web domain i use to manage mailman is webmail.mydomain.org.
>The other domain i'm trying to add is myotherdomain.org and following
>your advices it didn't worked.
>So, I did that in mm_cfg.py:
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mail.mydomain.org', 'myotherdomain.org']
>Then, I ran genaliases and also restarted mailman. I added the list
>test-list for myotherdomain.org with: /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist
>--urlhost=webmail.mydomain.org --emailhost=myotherdomain.org test-list

If you want all lists to use the same web host (webmail.mydomain.org)
and only different email domains, you do not want an add_virtualhost()
for the other domains.

You want

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'webmail.mydomain.org'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.mydomain.org'
MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mail.mydomain.org',

However, the

doesn't really do any harm. So I don't understand what the problem is.
The newlist command you gave should have created the list with a
host_name attribute (visible on the list's General Options page) of
myotherdomain.org, and if that domain was in
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS when the list was created, the required
virtual maps should have been added to data/virtual-mailman.

So, what is the host_name for test-list?

Does it match exactly a domain in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS in

Is there only one POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS assignment in mm_cfg.py?

What's in data/virtual-mailman?

is the time stamp of data/virtual-mailman.db the same or more recent
than that of data/virtual-mailman?