[Mailman-Users] Change moderated message to plain text

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 16 17:47:21 CET 2011

Clare Redstone wrote:

>I'm having problems with messages bouncing because they are too large. I'm
>pretty sure it's because they're formatted. If I just copy them and change
>to plain text, they get through fine. But the "from" field says they're from
>me.

There are a couple of ways to handle this.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/24A9> for one approach.

A better way is to use the list's content filtering to remove any
text/html parts and collapse multipart/alternative to the first part
only.

This will make the message ultimately sent to the list smaller, but
won't stop it being held. If you have access to the Mailman
installation, you can avoid the hold by moving the MimeDel module
ahead of the Hold module in the processing pipeline by adding the
following to mm_cfg.py

#
# Put MimeDel ahead of Hold so "too big" is based on content filtered
# message.
#
GLOBAL_PIPELINE.remove('MimeDel')
GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(GLOBAL_PIPELINE.index('Hold'), 'MimeDel')