PyCA cryptography 1.8 (and 1.8.1) has been released to PyPI.
cryptography includes both high level recipes and low level interfaces
to common cryptographic algorithms such as symmetric ciphers, message
digests, and key derivation functions. We support Python 2.6-2.7,
Python 3.3+, and PyPy.
* BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE: Elliptic Curve signature verification no
longer returns True on success. This brings it in line with the
interface’s documentation, and our intent. The correct way to use
verify() has always been to check whether or not InvalidSignature was
* BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE: Dropped support for macOS 10.7 and 10.8.
* BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE: The minimum supported PyPy version is now 5.3.
* Python 3.3 support has been deprecated, and will be removed in the
next cryptography release.
* Add support for providing tag during GCM finalization via finalize_with_tag().
* Fixed an issue preventing cryptography from compiling against LibreSSL 2.5.x.
* Added key_size convenience methods for determining the bit size of a
secret scalar for an elliptic curve.
* Accessing an unrecognized extension marked critical on an X.509
object will no longer raise an UnsupportedExtension exception, instead
an UnrecognizedExtension object will be returned. This behavior was
based on a poor reading of the RFC, unknown critical extensions only
need to be rejected on certificate verification.
* The CommonCrypto backend has been removed.
* MultiBackend has been removed.
* Whirlpool and RIPEMD160 have been deprecated.
Thanks to all the contributors for their hard work on this release!
-Paul Kehrer (reaperhulk)